Change the Host of a Zoom Meeting while you are in a need of leaving the conference and have an uninterrupted video conference meeting.
Suppose that you are hosting a meeting in Zoom. Now you need to leave the meeting early due to some unavoidable circumstances. What can we do? End that meeting or don’t we have a better solution for this? Yes. Apart from doing that, we can pass the host privileges to another user to continue the meeting from there onwards. This is how you can change the host of a Zoom meeting.
Before proceeds, please take a note of the following.
- As you know Zoom comes with a free version and a paid version having a couple of packages for businesses.
- The free version has certain limitations. The maximum time duration of a free Zoom meeting is limited to 40 minutes.
- Users having business packages can continue the meeting for an unlimited amount of time.
So, this is what will happen if you pass the host controls to another user.
- If you are a free user and passed the host controls to a new host, then even if the new host is a licensed user the meeting will be limited to 40 minutes after the controls are passed.
- If you are a licensed user and passed the host controls to a new host, then even if the new host is a free user the meeting can be continued up to an unlimited amount of time after the controls are passed.
Ok. Now let’s see how we can change the host of a Zoom meeting.
How to change the host of a Zoom meeting
To change the host of a Zoom meeting,
- First, you need to set up a Zoom meeting as a host. You can do that as follows.
- Open the Zoom app.
- Now select the “New Meeting” button on the home screen.
- Next, invite your participants to join your meeting by click on the “invite” button at the bottom of the screen.
- In this way, you can set up and invite participants to your Zoom meeting. Now suppose that you are conducting your Zoom meeting and need to pass the host controls to another participant. This is how you can do that.
- Click on the “Manage Participants” option at the bottom of the screen. (If you are on a Windows PC, then you can also press the keys Alt+U or if it is a Mac, you can press Command+U keys to perform the same action.)
- Now you will see a list of participants currently joining your Zoom meeting in the right pane.
- Go to the name of the participant that you need to pass the host controls and press the “More” button.
- Click on the “Make Host” option to appear in the menu.
- A message popup saying that “Do you want to change the host to <participant’s name>”.
- Click “Yes”.
When you go through the list of participants in the meeting you will see that the host controls have been successfully passed to that user. Now you can leave the meeting safely without interrupting it.
That’s it. Now you know How to change the host of a Zoom meeting.